Access: By referral from SHCS physician, nurse practitioner, or psychologist only
Student Health and Counseling Services (SHCS) provides diagnosis and treatment for a broad range of psychiatric disorders and mental health issues. Psychiatry services include psychiatric assessment, medication management and continuity of care for students requiring on-going medication monitoring.
- The initial psychiatry assessment generally consists of an evaluation and recommended treatment plan.
- Psychiatrists may start, continue or modify psychiatric medications as appropriate, including the provision of ongoing medication management.
- SHCS psychiatrists do not provide long-term psychotherapy; however, they can provide referrals to off-site community psychiatrists when this care is indicated.
- There are cases when the mental health needs of the student exceed the level of care that the psychiatry services at SHCS can provide, in which case SHCS providers can provide referrals to off-campus psychiatric treatment.
- SHCS does not routinely perform new evaluations for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), nor do we routinely prescribe medications for ADHD. If you are taking medications for ADHD prescribed elsewhere, we encourage you to continue your treatment relationship with your own prescribing clinician, as our clinicians do not provide such refills for ADHD prescriptions except in unusual circumstances. There are also a number of psychiatric providers in the community who will evaluate and offer medication treatment for ADHD, when appropriate, and SHCS providers can provide referrals to those providers.
If you have additional questions regarding mental health services at SHCS, please call (530) 752-2349 for more information or schedule an appointment with your provider.