A bike friendly community and culture lends itself to the sense of security that bikers feel here, and by and large, Davis is a safe place to ride. However, crashes happen! Bike accidents happen independently of how safely you ride and the best thing you can do to protect yourself from an unexpected accident is to wear a helmet.
Helmet Hair Don't Care
Sign the HHDC Pledge - Get a FREE helmet!
The Helmet Hair Don’t Care pledge aims to increase UC Davis students’ access to safe and comfortable helmets. Students that sign the pledge will be given a free helmet to show their commitment to the pledge. By signing the pledge, students are joining a community of individuals dedicated to decreasing the number of bicycle crash-related injuries.
10 Reasons You Should Sign the Helmet Hair Don’t Care Pledge
1. To protect your brain, head and face.
2. It's free at the Bike Barn.
3. Use it to start a trend.
4. Increase awareness of smart biking behaviors on campus.
5. Hide a bad hair day.
6. Avoid a concussion.
7. To keep your head dry when it rains.
8. Prevent injuries and potentially expensive health and/or medical bills.
9. To protect your head from bird droppings and squirrels falling from trees.
10. To make a fashion statement. #swag
How do I sign the pledge and collect my helmet?
You can sign the Helmet Hair Don’t Care Pledge electronically or in person at the Bike Barn or Student Health and Counseling Services.
If you sign the pledge electronically, print out the confirmation page and take it to the Bike Barn to redeem it for a free helmet.
Sponsors: Student Health and Counseling Services, Transportation and Parking Services, The Bike Barn
Bike Education and Resources
Are you wondering about bicycle safety tips in general? Check out TAPS’ Bike Education and Enforcement Program to learn about traffic rules and regulations that apply to bicycle riders and how to be a safe bicycle rider at UC Davis.
- TAPS Bicycle Program: http://taps.ucdavis.edu/bicycle
- DIY Bike Repair and Maintenance: http://taps.ucdavis.edu/bicycle/services/diy_repair
- Rules of the Road: http://taps.ucdavis.edu/bicycle/education/rules
- Bike Registration: http://taps.ucdavis.edu/bicycle/licenses
- Davis Bike Map: https://cityofdavis.org/city-hall/public-works/bike-pedestrian-program/see-the-bike-map
- The Bike Campaign and Bike Garage: https://thebikecampaign.com/
- Biking with Confidence: https://shcs.ucdavis.edu/blog/archive/biking-confidence