The following tests for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) -- including HIV -- are available at UC Davis Student Health and Counseling Services and may be requested during an office visit with a provider. Chlamydia and gonorrhea testing may be requested online. The costs provided below are in addition to the cost of an office visit, treatment supplies or medications.
- Chlamydia and Gonorrhea
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommend yearly chlamydia testing of sexually active young persons. At Student Health and Counseling Services, the chlamydia test is done in conjunction with a gonorrhea test.
- This test may be performed on a urine specimen or a swab specimen that is collected during an office visit or pelvic exam.
- If asymptomatic (no symptoms), this test may be requested online via Health-e-Messaging or added to any primary care visit with a physician or nurse practitioner.
- It takes 1-3 weeks after exposure to show accurate results. Results come back within a week.
- The cost is $20 (does not include visit/screening fees.)
- Routine herpes testing is not recommended for those without symptoms. Blood tests are done only in rare circumstances.
If you are having symptoms of herpes, your provider can swab the lesions (sores) to look for the virus. Results come back within one to two weeks.
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
- The CDC does not recommend routine screening for HPV in young persons.
- For people with a cervix, a Pap test may be used to check for changes related to HPV. In some cases, if the pap smear shows these changes, the pap test may also include an HPV test.
- Please discuss HPV testing and HPV vaccine with your provider.
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
- The CDC recommends HIV testing for all patients ages 13-64 at least once in their lifetime. It can take 3-12 weeks for results to be accurate - this is called the "window period". Check out the CDC's HIV Testing page for more information on how often you should get yourself tested. This test is easy to obtain in two ways:
- Confidential Testing: You can choose a blood test from our lab, and you will need to return in two weeks for results. The cost is $10 (does not include visit fees).
- Anonymous Testing: During the 2019-20 school year, you can get anonymous HIV antibody testing at no charge at the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer Intersex Asexual (LGBTQIA+) Resource Center at the Student Community Center (SCC) on the first Wednesday of each month from 2:00pm - 5:00pm during Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters only. Not available during finals weeks, quarter breaks, campus holidays, and summer session. Testing is done using a small drop of blood, so please come hydrated.
Learn more about HIV testing, the difference between a confidential and anonymous HIV test, and HIV testing options through Student Health and Counseling Services. You can also check out our Strike Out HIV Stigma page for more information and resources on HIV.
Visit Health-e-Messaging to communicate with your provider, request a chlamydia or gonorrhea test online or get more information about any of the above tests. If you would like to be seen by our medical staff, please contact our Appointment Desk (530 752-2349) to schedule an appointment.
Check out GYT UC Davis for more information on getting yourself tested.