Helmet Hair, Don't Care!
Have you ever seen someone riding and thought they should be riding differently or paying more attention to those around them?” If so, then you understand accidents can happen independently of how safely YOU ride. This is magnified when riding off campus, where cars have free rein of the roads and drivers aren’t always as cognizant of bikes just feet away from them. With so many things out of our control when riding, wearing a helmet is crucial.
While the national rate of helmet usage among college students is 34.9 percent, only 10.5 percent of UC Davis undergraduates report wearing a helmet “usually or always” while riding their bikes. This difference is striking, considering that more than 20,000 bikes are ridden on campus on any given school day. With so many bikes on just a few paths, there are plenty of opportunities for even the most competent rider to be on the receiving end of someone’s bad-biking day.
A strongly bike friendly infrastructure and culture lends itself to the sense of security that bikers feel here, and by and large, Davis is a safe place to ride. However, crashes happen! Bike accidents happen independently of how safely you ride and the best thing you can do to protect yourself from an unexpected accident is to wear a helmet.
The Helmet Hair Don’t Care pledge aims to increase UC Davis students’ access to safe and comfortable helmets. Students that sign the pledge will be given a free helmet and a reflective sticker to show their commitment to the pledge. By signing the pledge, students are joining a community of individuals dedicated to decreasing the number of bicycle crash-related injuries.
10 Reasons You Should Sign the Helmet Hair Don’t Care Pledge
- To protect your brain, head and face.
- It's free at the Bike Barn.
- Use it to start a trend.
- Increase awareness of smart biking behaviors on campus.
- Hide a bad hair day.
- Avoid a concussion.
- To keep your head dry when it rains.
- Prevent injuries and potentially expensive health and/or medical bills.
- To protect your head from bird droppings and squirrels falling from trees.
- To make a fashion statement. #swag
How do I sign the pledge and collect my helmet?
- You can sign the Helmet Hair Don’t Care Pledge electronically, at an event or in person at the Bike Barn.
- If you sign the pledge electronically, print out the confirmation page and take it to the Bike Barn to redeem it for a free helmet and reflective sticker.
- If you sign the pledge at an event, take your pledge card to the Bike Barn to redeem it for a free helmet and reflective sticker.
- We think your friends probably want a free helmet too. Tell them about the Helmet Hair Don’t Care pledge and share your experience on Instagram and Facebook! #helmethairdontcare
Sponsors: Student Health and Counseling Services, Transportation and Parking Services, The Bike BarnTake the Pledge
Are you wondering about bicycle safety tips in general? Check out TAPS’ Bike Education and Enforcement Program to learn about traffic rules and regulations that apply to bicycle riders and how to be a safe bicycle rider at UC Davis.
TAPS Bicycle Program: http://taps.ucdavis.edu/bicycle
DIY Bike Repair and Maintenance: http://taps.ucdavis.edu/bicycle/services/diy_repair
Rules of the Road: http://taps.ucdavis.edu/bicycle/education/rules
Bike Registration: http://taps.ucdavis.edu/bicycle/licenses
The Bike Campaign and Bike Garage: https://thebikecampaign.com/
- The Bike Garage is Yolo County’s only “by donation” repair shop
Biking with Confidence: https://shcs.ucdavis.edu/blog/archive/biking-confidence