UC SHIP Benefits Information
UC SHIP Benefits Information 2012-2013
The University of California Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) is designed specifically for UC students with both Davis area and worldwide coverage.
UC SHIP combines medical, mental health and vision services offered by Student Health and Counseling Services at the Student Health and Wellness Center and at North Hall, including dental benefits for services that are not available on campus. Together, the medical, mental health, dental and vision insurance form UC SHIP.
- UC SHIP Medical Benefits (provided by Anthem Blue Cross)
- UC SHIP Vision Benefits (provided by Anthem Blue Cross)
- UC SHIP Dental Benefits (provided by Delta Dental)
UC SHIP Medical Benefits
Students receive primary care at UC Davis Student Health and Counseling Services (SHCS). If an SHCS provider determines that a student needs further care that cannot be provided by SHCS, a referral will be provided. The medical benefits of the plan are provided through Anthem Blue Cross and cover services that are not available at SHCS. Only those medical services received on the basis of an SHCS physician referral will be considered for payment by UC SHIP
- UC SHIP Medical and Prescription Benefits - Overview (UCOP/Wells Fargo website) - Provides a basic description of your medical and prescription benefits.
- UC SHIP Medical Summary Plan Description (UCOP/Wells Fargo website) - If you do not find what you are looking for in the Overview documents provided above, the summary plan description provides a more in depth description of your medical benefits.
How to Use the UC SHIP Medical Plan
Referral by an SHCS provider must be obtained BEFORE receiving non-emergency medical services. Only services received on the basis of an SHCS provider referral will be considered for payment.
- Davis area (within 30 miles): Go to SHCS for primary care and/or a referral to a specialist. SHCS Insurance Services will help to determine your coverage and facilitate the referral process.
- Elsewhere in California: Prior to receiving treatment for non-emergency medical services, call SHCS Insurance Services during business hours to obtain referral to a participating provider.
- Outside California: For non-emergency treatment, call 1 (800) 810-BLUE (on back of UC SHIP card). Anthem Blue Cross will help you to identify a local affiliated provider. Present your UC SHIP card at the time of service.
- Outside USA: Pay for services. Bring your statement of services, translated into English and US dollars, to SHCS Insurance Services. SHCS Insurance Services will assist you in submitting your claim to Anthem Blue Cross.
- Emergencies: Go to an emergency facility for treatment. You do not need a referral from an SHCS provider to receive emergency services. Payment of ER claims is subject to review by Anthem Blue Cross. Must meet “emergency” definition (see the UC SHIP Medical Benefits Booklet, available on SHCS website).
UC SHIP Vision Benefits
Your UC SHIP Vision benefits are provided through Anthem Blue Cross. Vision care is now available at Student Health and Counseling Services, with an Optometry Clinic and Optical Shop located at the Student Health and Wellness Center. The SHCS Optical Shop has over 500 frames to choose from and a full selection of contact lenses. In addition to SHCS' Optometry Clinic there are also many vision care providers available in Davis that accept the Anthem Blue Cross plan. Vision services DO NOT require a referral from SHCS.
How to Use the UC SHIP Vision Plan
To verify your coverage for vision care benefits, you will be issued an identification card. If you go to a participating vision care provider, you must present this card when you go for your appointment. A participating vision care provider will only charge your copayment and any charges in excess of the Vision Care Benefit Maximum. When a participating vision care provider bills Anthem Blue Cross for covered services, Anthem will pay them directly. Please see the vision plan document below if you choose to see a non-participating provider.
For information about vision plan benefits and for a list of providers in Davis, please review the following documents:
- UC SHIP Vision Benefits - Overview (pdf) - Overview document, provides a basic description of your vision benefits
- UC SHIP Vision Benefits - Detailed (Anthem Blue Cross website) - if you do not find what you are looking for in the Overview document provided above, the Detailed benefits document provides a more in depth description of your vision benefits
- SHCS Optometry Clinic and Optical Shop
- Other Participating Vision Care Providers located in Davis, enter the Davis Zip Code and select your current vision plan
- For a list of vision care providers outside of Davis, call Anthem Blue Cross UC SHIP Customer Service at 1 (866) 940-8306
UC SHIP Dental Benefits
Your UC SHIP dental benefits are provided through a Delta Dental PPO plan. Dentists are not available on campus; however, most dentists in the city of Davis are Delta Dental dentists. You may receive services from any licensed dentist worldwide; however, you will usually pay less if you visit a Delta Dental PPO Dentist or a Delta Dental Premier dentist. See below for details on how to find a dentist. Dental services DO NOT require a referral from SHCS.
How to Use the UC SHIP Dental Plan
This dental plan provides you with several options for choosing a dentist, with the opportunity for increased savings. Whichever dentist network you choose, your benefits and covered services remain the same. Please refer to the Delta Dental website, listed below, for complete description of the dental plan benefits and limitations.
- Option 1
For your lowest out-of-pocket costs, you may visit a Delta Dental PPO dentist. These are Delta Dental dentists who have agreed to accept discounted fees for Delta Dental PPO enrollees.
- Option 3
You may select any licensed dentist, even one who is not a PPO or Premier dentist. With this option, you will likely have higher out-of-pocket costs since these dentists have no fee restrictions.
- Option 2
You may visit a dentist from the Delta Dental Premier dental list. These dentists represent a very broad nationwide network whose fees are determined by Delta Dental. Your out-of-pocket costs with a Premier dentist will usually be lower than with a non-Delta Dental dentist.
For information about dental plan benefits and to find a Delta Dental dentist, please visit the Delta Dental UC SHIP website