Davis SHIP Benefits Information
Davis SHIP Benefits Information 2013-2014
UC Davis has elected to no longer participate in the medical insurance coverage through the UC system-wide UC SHIP program. Starting Fall term 2013, medical insurance coverage will be provided by Aetna Student Health. UC Davis will continue to participate in the system-wide UC SHIP coverage for both vision and dental coverage.
*Note to providers: If you would like information about joining the Aetna Student Health network to be able to provide services to UC Davis students at in-network rates, please contact Aetna Student Health 1 (855) 821-9710.
Davis SHIP combines medical, mental health, dental and vision coverage under one plan and is available for all registered UC Davis Students.
On campus medical, mental health and vision services are offered by Student Health and Counseling Services at the Student Health and Wellness Center and at North Hall, including dental benefits for services that are not available on campus. Together, the medical, mental health, dental and vision insurance form UC SHIP.
- Davis SHIP Medical Benefits (provided by Aetna Student Health)
- UC SHIP Vision Benefits (provided by Anthem Blue Cross)
- UC SHIP Dental Benefits (provided by Delta Dental)
- 2012-2013 UC SHIP Medical Benefits (provided Anthem Blue Cross)
Davis SHIP Medical Benefits
Students receive primary care at UC Davis Student Health and Counseling Services (SHCS). If an SHCS provider determines that a student needs further care that cannot be provided by SHCS, a referral will be provided. The medical benefits of the plan are provided through Aetna Student Health and cover services that are not available at SHCS. Only those medical services received on the basis of an SHCS physician referral will be considered for payment by Davis SHIP
- Davis SHIP Medical and Prescription Benefits - Overview - Provides a basic description of your medical and prescription benefits.
- Davis SHIP Medical Summary Plan Description - If you do not find what you are looking for in the Overview documents provided above, the summary plan description provides a more in depth description of your medical benefits.
How to Use the Davis SHIP Medical Plan
Referral by an SHCS provider must be obtained BEFORE receiving non-emergency medical services. Only services received on the basis of an SHCS provider referral will be considered for payment.
- Davis area (within 30 miles): Go to SHCS for primary care and/or a referral to a specialist. SHCS Insurance Services will help to determine your coverage and facilitate the referral process.
- Within the United States: Prior to receiving treatment for non-emergency medical services, call SHCS Insurance Services during hours of operation to obtain a referral to a participating provider. Identify a local affiliated provider on the Aetna Student Health Website. Present your Davis SHIP ID card at the time of service.
- Outside USA: Aetna Student Health contracts with On Call International, a travel assitance company. If you require medical care while traveling outside of the United States, you will need to contact On Call International and they can assist you in locating a local provider/hospital. You will be required to pay for any services received and then file a claim with Aetna Student Health for reimbursement. Please be sure to obtain a receipt for all services, preferably in English and in US Dollars. On Call International can be reached at (603) 328-1956 visit them online at On Call International.
- Emergencies: Go to an emergency facility for treatment. You do not need a referral from an SHCS provider to receive emergency services. Payment of ER claims is subject to review by Aetna Student Health. Must meet “emergency” definition.
UC SHIP Vision Benefits
Your UC SHIP Vision benefits are provided through Anthem Blue Cross. Vision care is now available at Student Health and Counseling Services, with an Optometry Clinic and Optical Shop located at the Student Health and Wellness Center. The SHCS Optical Shop has over 500 frames to choose from and a full selection of contact lenses. In addition to SHCS' Optometry Clinic there are also many vision care providers available in Davis that accept the Anthem Blue Cross plan. Vision services DO NOT require a referral from SHCS.
How to Use the UC SHIP Vision Plan
To verify your coverage for vision care benefits, you will be issued an identification card. If you go to a participating vision care provider, you must present this card when you go for your appointment. A participating vision care provider will only charge your co-payment and any charges in excess of the Vision Care Benefit Maximum. When a participating vision care provider bills Anthem Blue Cross for covered services, Anthem will pay them directly. Please see the vision plan document below if you choose to see a non-participating provider.
For information about vision plan benefits and for a list of providers in Davis, please review the following documents:
- UC SHIP Vision Benefits - Overview (pdf) - Overview document, provides a basic description of your vision benefits
- UC SHIP Vision Benefits - Detailed (Anthem Blue Cross website) - if you do not find what you are looking for in the Overview document provided above, the Detailed benefits document provides a more in depth description of your vision benefits
- SHCS Optometry Clinic and Optical Shop
- Other Participating Vision Care Providers located in Davis, enter the Davis Zip Code and select your current vision plan
- For a list of vision care providers outside of Davis, call Anthem Blue Cross UC SHIP Customer Service at 1 (866) 940-8306
UC SHIP Dental Benefits
Your UC SHIP dental benefits are provided through a Delta Dental PPO plan. Dentists are not available on campus; however, most dentists in the city of Davis are Delta Dental dentists. You may receive services from any licensed dentist worldwide; however, you will usually pay less if you visit a Delta Dental PPO Dentist or a Delta Dental Premier dentist. See below for details on how to find a dentist. Dental services DO NOT require a referral from SHCS.
How to Use the UC SHIP Dental Plan
This dental plan provides you with several options for choosing a dentist, with the opportunity for increased savings. Whichever dentist network you choose, your benefits and covered services remain the same. Please refer to the Delta Dental website, listed below, for complete description of the dental plan benefits and limitations.
- Option 1
For your lowest out-of-pocket costs, you may visit a Delta Dental PPO dentist. These are Delta Dental dentists who have agreed to accept discounted fees for Delta Dental PPO enrollees.
- Option 3
You may select any licensed dentist, even one who is not a PPO or Premier dentist. With this option, you will likely have higher out-of-pocket costs since these dentists have no fee restrictions.
- Option 2
You may visit a dentist from the Delta Dental Premier dental list. These dentists represent a very broad nationwide network whose fees are determined by Delta Dental. Your out-of-pocket costs with a Premier dentist will usually be lower than with a non-Delta Dental dentist.
For information about dental plan benefits and to find a Delta Dental dentist, please visit the Delta Dental UC SHIP website